Thursday, December 29, 2005

Back. Up. Your. Data.

In my first year at LST I got to know a dissertation student who was running her bibliography off a floppy disk and had no copy on a hard disk anywhere. I didn't feel I ought to keep nagging this particular acquaintance, so I didn't labour the point about always having multiple copies in different places.

A few days later, the inevitable happened. The floppy corrupted. She lost every single reference of the hundreds she had, and had to go through the entire library making up her bibliography all over again. It took her days and she was as MISERABLE as sin. I empathised passionately. I wrung my hands in concert with hers. But what could I do?

Now read the story below, digest and learn. And the moral of the tale is, if you don't want to find yourself screaming in a massive trash dumper in the back of beyond, then back up your data in multiple places.

Now I've told you. And if you are doing a dissertation I wish you well. Happy New Year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/21/AR2005122102311.html

No comments: